Saturday, November 24, 2012

My First Thanksgiving

Well, clearly not my first Thanksgiving ever. This was my first gluten and dairy free Thanksgiving.

I ate food!

I enjoyed it!

I had turkey breast, homemade cranberry sauce (with oranges, cinnamon, and ginger added - thickened with cornstarch), and a delicious sweet potato casserole.  I also had sauteed asparagus (salt, olive oil, lemon juice).

Delicious! Did I miss the rolls? Yes. Did I miss the pumpkin pie? Yes. But I had lots of food to eat and was full and happy at the end.

My dessert was a homemade coconut macaroon - it was my first attempt at these, but tasty nonetheless. And because I could, I had a dollop of cool whip on the side.  Totally over the top, but the cool whip was always my favorite part of the pumpkin pie anyway :)

Here's the recipe for the sweet potatoes.  I got it from a magazine - maybe Everyday Food? Don't remember.

3 large yams/sweet potatoes
Cut them up and boil them.  Drain them.  Add a can or a little less of full fat coconut milk, the zest of a lime, and the lime juice from that lime. Use a hand mixer or a food processor to get it nice and creamy. (This is why you're eyeballing the coconut milk - it's like your milk and butter if you're doing mashed potatoes) Put it in a casserole dish, sprinkle coconut flakes on top and top with mini marshmallows.  Cook 30 minutes or so at 375.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment